Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The joy of anniversary

As we approach Memorial Day weekend 2013, I find that I have two important anniversaries coming up:

The Anniversary of My Retirement

I retired on May 31, 2008, after 37 years with the Federal Government, which makes next week five years since I retired. They say "Time flies when you're having fun" and I guess that explains why it seems that it was only two years ago that I said goodbye to working full-time (and working for a paycheck). One of the things I worried about with retirement was finding something to give me the sense of fulfillment and achievement that doing my job gave me.

I didn't need to look far to find the answer--volunteering! I have held upwards of a dozen different volunteer "jobs" in the five years I've been retired; some have given me a great sense of fulfillment and some less so, but I have enjoyed them all to some degree. They have also allowed to me to meet some outstanding people in my new town/state (the spirit of volunteerism here in Delaware is quite amazing). I still actively do about four volunteer "jobs" including my newest venture--becoming a Big Sister last month.


The Anniversary of My Healthier Lifestyle Journey

As I was approaching 50, my doctor in Alexandria, Virginia was losing patience with me. She said I needed prescription medication for my high cholesterol. I said I wasn't taking it (I had my reasons, both in family history and in general). Finally, one day she said "Sheri, I know you know what to do but you're just not doing it!" That took me aback...but she was right. I did know what to do.

I had spent my life learning about weight loss, going on perpetual diets and getting fatter and fatter because I could never stay on them long-term. I was stuck and frustrated. At that time, I had reached my highest weight ever. I realized that the time had come to make a change, especially given my high cholesterol, high blood pressure and family history of diabetes. I had given up "dieting" when I turned 40. I'd tried healthy eating before, but I went too far...too strict...and I couldn't maintain it.

Thankfully, I discovered a show called Cooking Thin on the Food Network that spring hosted by a chef named Kathleen Daelemans (aka KD). I loved her approach. She loved food as much as I did, but she had learned moderation that allowed her to maintain a substantial weight loss for 10 years. I decided to make her my mentor (even if she didn't know it). I bought her cookbook (which is part cookbook, part "put on your big girl panties and DO IT" pep talk). Within a month, I'd found my way to her fan website on Food Network's site. There, I met a bunch of great ladies, all facing the struggle in some way or another.

The "KD sisters" were my education. I learned about cooking healthier, eating healthier, journaling and exercising from them. But the most important piece, a piece that had always been lacking for me in "diet" plans, books and magazine articles, was the psychological piece. We talked a lot about feelings, cravings, behavior...how to change our minds from the old mindset to a mindset that would allow us to be successful at healthy living for a LIFETIME. It was very important to me that this not be "just another diet" because I'd failed miserably at that.

After learning how to live healthier from KD and the sisters, I officially began my journey to healthier living on July 1, 2003. July 1 this year is the 10-year anniversary of beginning my journey. It is mind-blowing to think that I have been at this for TEN YEARS! I never did lose all of the weight I wanted to lose, but I did lose 30 pounds in the first year. What I am most proud of though, because I had never been able to accomplish it before, is that in ten years I have never gone back to my original weight. I have learned and incorporated enough of the KD sisters' wisdom that I can maintain within a certain range--higher than my lowest weight but lower than my highest weight. I still haven't given up on my dream of getting to my goal weight (or nearby) some day. But if and when I get there, it will be sensibly...and for a lifetime. Dieting is a dirty word! :)

I am blessed to still have many of the KD sisters in my life ten years later (on Facebook). We still talk about feelings. We still support one another through challenges, congratulate one another's accomplishments, no matter how small (because we know it's all about baby steps). I don't think I could have done this, maintained this lifestyle for 10 years, without them. I'm thankful I never had to.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am blessed that we are all still together after plus years. And we are still walking this journey together.

Sheri said...

Ditto that, Lori! Thanks for the comment.

Stephanie said...

Love it!

Sheri said...

Thank you, Stephanie. :)