Saturday, August 30, 2008

The joy of being a kid at heart

You remember that TV commercial that goes "I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid..."? I think that was written for me. :) I am a huge afficianado of video games, and I spend far more time than I'd like to admit playing them (especially now that I'm retired!).

Those who know me know that my #1 game addiction is The Sims 2, an amazingly realistic PC video game in which you design, build and decorate houses and then design simulated people (i.e., Sims) to live in them. Oh yea, and you run their lives for them. It's kind of like the opening to the old Twilight Zone TV show --"We control the vertical...we control the horizontal...". In The Sims, you are in charge of fulfilling the lives of all your peeps--getting them jobs, friends and husbands/wives, having children, the whole tamale. It's the perfect game for a creative, detail-oriented, anal-retentive lazy butt with control issues like myself. :)

Most adults who get Sims Fever lose the thrill after a few weeks or a few months at most; I've been playing The Sims for over 5 years now. I still play pretty much every day. I have filled up several Sim towns with houses and Sims that I designed. My older brother is a builder in Florida. I often think of there being two builders in our family--just that he builds the real ones. Here are a few of my recent creations in The Sims 2:




And here's what the first house looks like INSIDE:

Another of my favorites is Pogo (http://www.pogo.com/). My addictions there change over time. Right now, my favorite game is Golf Solitare (http://www.pogo.com/games/golf-solitaire), a wickedly competitive card game that consists of five rounds. Whomever has the highest score at the end of 5 rounds wins; but, oh, how that scoreboard can change during those 5 rounds! It's always fun to see if I can race to the top and leave the others in my dust, but even as skilled as I've gotten at the game, it all comes down to the luck of the draw. Bad cards can send ya packin'!

So what about you? Are you still a kid at heart? How do you humor the kid inside?

No comments: